Wednesday, November 4, 2015

On The Road(House): Post 1

At the end of October I spent 4 days teaching in Texas for the first time. The venue was Roadhouse Arts in the town of Bulverde - about halfway between San Antonio and Austin. With a population of less than 5,000 people, there may be more people living on my block in NYC than in Bulverde. 

My hosts were Francesca & Nick Watson and I thank them for a very memorable experience.

Roadhouse Arts is part gallery...

part workshop space...

and part working studio.

It is nestled amongst a group of other art related venues that form a very unique community of artisans right in the center of Bulverde.

Right next door is Texas Carpet Baggers. Becky Feeley, the owner, creates the most amazing handcrafted bags from leather, suede and other high-end materials. I knew I was in Texas when I saw her wall of hides. I kept thinking they would make incredible book covers.

If I ever decided to use a murse (which, btw, I will not), I would get one from TCB.

Becky and her husband David hosted lunches for the workshops at their shop.

In between workshops, I had the opportunity to see a bit of the local area and experience a taste of Texas.

Everyday there was an episode of chicken TV right outside my door.

 All country music fans know that a stop in Luckenbach is a must. Cue Waylon Jennings and Willie Nelson


We had a chance to see a wonderful exhibition of art by Lyn Belisle (pictured) and Michelle Belto at Dan Pfeiffer gallery in Fredericksburg.

The rodeo was rained out but that just meant that we could easily get a seat at the bar.
That's Lisa Stamper Meyer (one of the co-owners of Roadhouse Arts) and Chris Brussat (one of the workshop participants).

And what trip to Texas would be complete without a ride on the mechanical bull? I swear it was closed, otherwise you would be watching the video right now!

And in case this post gives you the idea that all I did was play, stay tuned for Post 2, where I share pictures and videos of the workshops.

12 comments:

elle said...

I believe yah! :)

Maryanne said...

Looks like you had a great time down in the heart of Texas! Can't wait to see the workshop pics! Are SURE that mechanical bull was closed?!!!

Sue Marrazzo Fine Art said...

Such a cool POST!

layers said...

Looks like a fun, and quirky workshop in Texas... I hope those bar stool seats were FAKE horse seats :-)

lynbelisle said...

Seth,thanks again for coming to the show at Dans gallery -as Lyle Lovett said, "you're not from Texas , but Texas loves you anyway! Please hurry back :)

Francesca Watson said...

It was so much fun having you here! Already looking forward to your next visit!!

Jackie PN said...

Yea,sure looks like there was alot of "Bull" heeheee
(sorry-I couldn't resist!)
Great post- I always love hearing about your road travels Seth! hugs

Sisterhood of the Muse said...

What an adventure...looking forward to reading Part 2!

Bill said...

What a fantastic place to hold your workshop! Thanks for sharing your photos! I, for one, would pass on the bull even if it was running. Although, I imagine there was still a lot of that going around while sitting in those bar chairs.

Jo Murray said...

Looks like you had a great time. LOVE those bar stools.

cindy said...

Looks like so much fun! And so different!

PocketSize said...

Wow, that looks like fun!