Monday, July 13, 2015

Mixology 101.1

Today begins a new feature on my blog: Mixology 101. 


This series of pop-up posts will focus on sharing ways in which as a mixed media artist I create work using both hand made and commercial products together. As a blogger for Spellbinders for the last 2 ½ years, I have come to embrace more and more products from the craft industry and incorporate them into my artwork.

The posts in this series may focus on completed art, process, product, and/or any other aspect of mixed media. Very often, they will highlight how I alter commercial products as a way to make them completely my own. So put the mix in the media and let's get creative...


-------------------------------------

The base for this mixed media project was cut from hand painted watercolor paper using a die from Spellbinders Matting Basics B set. It measures 3 ⅝ x 5 ⅝ inches. I created the grouping of linear frames by using Spellbinders Contemporary Squares die to make two die cuts from hand painted paper in a contrasting color. After snipping off part of the die cuts, I arranged the frames as I wanted them and adhered them to the base. I often cut apart shapes that I have made from commercial dies as a way to individualize and put my own artistic spin on them.


The images that I used to fill the frames were taken from 3 very cool pads of Spellbinders Ephemera Papers. I used the Contemporary Squares die to cut out my choice of images, keeping the negative pieces from the die cut to adhere inside the frames.


Love this shot of my workspace after all the cutting and pasting was complete.


This project that I created has given me some ideas to run with to make some larger pieces of art. Stay tuned...

-------------------------------------

Supply List

Spellbinders Paper Art Supplies:

Grand Calibur Machine (GC-200); Contemporary Squares Die (S4-497); 5x7 Matting Basics B Die Set (S6-002); Ephemera Papers One (MP1-001); Ephemera Papers Two (MP1-002); Ephemera Papers Three (MP1-005)

Other: hand painted watercolor paper, adhesive, scissor

----------------------------------------
20% Off

For those of you what want to explore these and other products from Spellbinders, they have generously provided my blog readers with a special code that can be used to save 20% off items in their online shop (doesn't include shipping, tax, or machines). Head to their store and use code 20OFFSA.

2 comments:

elle said...

Well, you certainly know how to derail "thou shalt not" resolutions! :O But I am gonna just luv this mixed up series on Mixology. woo hoo a change is required. "Thou shalt not" pass up creative opportunities due to mundane things like budgets!
What are your go to basics, Seth, as far as the dies go? Hey, a thought. I'd be getting better value out of my Big Shot Pro! :)

Jackie PN said...

Awe Seth!! I promised myself that i would not buy anything new for awhile!! Now you made me go and break my promise!!! heehee

I Am so happy that you are sharing your tips and techniques here! I truly love the work that you create with these Spellbinder pieces but have had no idea on even where to begin- so thanks so much for granting a wish of mine!!
huge hugs to you and thank you to Spellbinders for the discount!
Jackie")